What is a technical translation? And what are the peculiarities of these translations? Below, we take a look at these and the inherent challenges of technical translations.
Technical translation: definition and peculiarities
Technical translation refers to the translation of texts from technical sectors, which use specialist terminology. This may be in the scientific, legal, medical, financial, IT or mechanical sectors, etc.
To produce a quality technical translation, accuracy and precision are essential. The technical translator must also have sectoral expertise in the field in question.
The technical translator needs to possess a perfect command of industry-specific terms in the relevant language pairing. In addition, to translate a technical text accurately, they must also be familiar with the norms and regulations in force in the industry concerned.
From descriptions on how to operate machines, to the instructions for use of a pharmaceutical product, to the translation of a scientific patent... A wide range of technical documents and media may need to be translated.
Given the great complexity of this type of translation, only a professional translator specialising in the sector concerned can deliver a reliable and accurate translation. Online technical translation with automatic translation software is not recommended.
In the medical, pharmaceutical, scientific, or legal sectors, for example, the slightest error in language or a mistranslated word could have very damaging consequences.
Traducta, technical translation agency
Telephone: 0800 888 440
From abroad: +41 61 312 34 13
Hours (phone and email): Monday to Friday from 9 am to 6 pm
Bahnhofstrasse 10, 8001 Zürich
Traducta, one of the leading translation agencies in Europe, provides you with a high-quality technical translation service.
Your document is entrusted to professional translators who specialise in technical translation and have sectoral expertise in your field.
To guarantee the quality of the translation, these professionals translate into their native language only, and many are based in the country where the language is used.
This means that they have a thorough and up-to-date knowledge of the vocabulary and standards of the sector and of the local culture.
Whatever your field of expertise, we can provide technical translation services that are aligned with your needs:
- translation services for the industrial sector (aeronautics, electronics, energy, chemical industry, technology, solar, industrial manufacturing, engineering, vehicles, textiles, moulds and dies, safety data sheets (MSDS), technical documents, agricultural engineering etc.)
- translation services for the IT sector (software, websites, etc.)
- translation services for the scientific sector (patents, expert reports, studies, etc.)
- translation services for the medical sector (products, research, medical reports, clinical trials, medical instructions, etc.)
- translation services for the legal sector (laws, notarial deeds, company statutes, diplomas, patents, marriage certificates, GTCs, GTUs, etc.)
- translation services for the economic and financial sector (balance sheets, profit and loss accounts, audit reports, risk analyses, etc.).
English, French, German, Spanish, Arabic, Portuguese, Russian... We handle more than a hundred languages, from the most common to the rarest.
Technical translation services by specialists
With over 3,500 native speakers, we not only offer a wide range of translators, our employees also have a strong understanding of the respective technologies. This means that they have the technical know-how and industry-specific experience to carry out your technical translations with a 100% accuracy. In addition, we use auxiliary software for technical translations. This enables us to guarantee the homogeneity of technical terms and expressions.
Technical translation services – what sets us apart?
We are honest: there are many translation agencies. So why should you come to us? There are a few good reasons:
- We offer technical translation services in around 100 languages
- We have been a reliable partner when it comes to translations for over 40 years
- We offer high-quality translation services and guarantee the best results through our more than 3,500 native speakers
- We not only have employees who are linguistically skilled, but who also have technical expertise and experience in the respective field
- We work quickly and can even handle rush jobs to your complete satisfaction.
So why wait? Why not contact us for a no-obligation quote for your technical translation right away and we'll get to work as soon as possible.
FAQ about our technical translation services
Technical translations mainly concern documents from industrial sectors such as shipbuilding, aviation, food processing, transport, etc. The documents can include user manuals, technical data sheets, patents, catalogues, etc.
The cost of a translation varies according to the type of content and the length of the translation. To find out the cost of a technical translation, you can request a free quote online and you will receive a quotation within a few hours.
The most commonly used formats for translating technical documents are PDF, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. However, you can send us a document in another format and we will check whether we can process it.
The average turnaround time is two days (excluding weekends and public holidays) for a text of less than 1,000 words. This timeframe can vary, not only according to the number of words, but also according to the subject of the text and the language pairing. However, by choosing the priority option, you can reduce the turnaround time to just a few hours.
More types of translations:
Articles of association, contracts, judgments, licences, etc.
For more information
Translations with very short delivery times
For more information
International calls for tenders, driving licences, visas, and documents intended for government authorities, etc.
For more information
E-commerce, mobile applications, SEO translations, etc.
For more information